- A large local section with books indexed for surnames
- Surnames index
- Microfiche readers
- Microfilm readers
- Local newspapers on microfilm
- Five computers holding over 300 CDs
- BDM indexes for all Australian states
- ‘Family Search’ for international births and marriages
- Internet access to many free, family history sites
- ‘Find My Past’, covering UK, Scottish Census, Ireland, Australasia, the World (all of them) plus USA & Canada
- British Newspapers on the Internet
- Car and Bus parking
- Disable Access to Main Library and Courthouse
BEGA VALLEY GENEALOGY SOCIETY INC. – OUR HISTORY
Interest in Genealogy was a relatively new phenomenon when 28 members formed our Society on 1st August 1987. This had followed a series of lectures given by Dr Brian Harrap at the suggestion of the Eden Community Council of Education.
The 1988 Bicentennial programme, with its emphasis on the origins of European settlement certainly caused many to wonder about their pioneer ancestors.
And yet, since the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, we had a rich source of documents. State Archive Offices, provided by the Register of Birth, Deaths and Marriages, How-to-books, and the efforts of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church) attempting to record details of all people on earth resulting in the IGI (International Genealogy Index) all added to our research.
Membership rapidly increased with the need to find a permanent home.
In the early 1990’s the local community was agitating to have the Old Court House Complex Heritage listed and saved from private sale.
Fears were that the empty building could be vandalized.
In 1992 the Genealogy Society obtained a 2 year lease at $2,620 per year and acted as caretakers for the buildings. Our voice added to the agitation.
In May, 1994 the State Government agreed to hand over the trusteeship of the historic Pambula Police Station and Court House to the Bega Valley Shire Council.
And now, in 2015, we are the holders of the official licence for the buildings
OLD PAMBULA COURT HOUSE AND POLICE STATION
Late 1840’s The Eden Police District extended from Cape Howe in the south (now Victoria/NSW border) to Wallaga Lake to the north and inland to include the Monaro. Policing of Pambula was done from Eden.
1850’s A Policeman was stationed at Pambula but there was no lock-up (although a temporary lock-up was used).
1860-61 A Courthouse/Lock-up built. Building contained 2 cells, small courtroom, Magistrates room, Constable’s Bedroom and 2 outside privies in enclosed yard
1890’s Present Courtroom built, also new cell block built, The old courtroom became the Police Station
1978 Last use of cells (Short term holding only – NOT gaol.
1979 Police Station closed and building converted to a residence for policeman stationed at Merimbula
1984 Courthouse closed
1992 Bega Valley Genealogy Society rents building
1994 NSW Government appoints Bega Valley Shire Council trustees of Courthouse and Police Station for public use of building, now Heritage Listed
COURT Petty Sessions – eg. Minor offences such as failure to send children to school, failure to pay fines/debts, drunk and disorderly conduct, offensive language, vagrancy, assaults, inquests etc.
Local citizens appointed as MAGISTRATES in early years
Later, visiting POLICE MAGISTRATES heard cases
Later again, cases were heard at Eden, Bega or serious cases in Sydney (transported by steamer)
GAOLING at Eden, Bega or Cooma.
POLICE Two members have written a history of all the Police stationed at Pambula (this history is in our Library) and their photograps can be seen on the walls in the Courtroom.
Click on the above photographs for a larger view.